Monday, December 26, 2011

New Gravy Ideas

Here's another idea for your chicken gravy.  Recently, I needed to use up some chicken, but I was running low on interesting ingredients, so I cut up two pounds of chicken and sauteed it.  In the mean time, I put about 1 1/2 cups of rice in the microwave and started some gravy cooking.  Once the rice was cooked, I put in a healthy dose of frozen vegetables in to thaw (I had corn and peas - carrots, lima beans, and green beans, or anything you like would work).  By then, I had the oven preheating to 375.  I put all the chicken and veggies in a deep 9 x 12 casserole, added as much rice as I thought was needed (about 2/3, meaning that a cup of uncooked rice would have done the job), and then poured in the gravy.  You can top the end result with toasted bread crumbs or some panko cooked quickly in a bit of butter.  Cook 20-30 minutes and you have a chicken and rice casserole.  Or, if you want to save time on the last step, mix the chicken, gravy and vegetables, then serve over rice and you have chicken a la king.  It's not fancy, but the family really enjoys it.

No comments:

Post a Comment