Saturday, August 25, 2012

Tip of the Day

If you're like me, the migraine diet can thrust you into a meat-starch-sauce pattern.  For me, the starches tend to be rice, pasta and potatoes.  I can do rice a dozen ways with different spices, stocks and add-ins, but it's still rice.  I rotate pasta between spaghetti, angel hair, penne, linguine, fettucini, orzo and lasagna noodles, but it's always pasta.  I serve potatoes mashed, baked, hash-browned and latke'ed, but. . . you know. 

Here's the latest thing I've discovered that's quick, simple and really different:  gnocchi.  Gnocchi is a potato dumpling used in Italian cooking.  Although there are many migraine-friendly recipes on the web, and many more that cheat just a little, the lightbulb really came on when I stumbled upon pre-made gnocchi ("gnocchi's?") at Trader Joe's.  I'm not a big fan of Trader Joe's because of the preponderance of products with added soy, but when I picked up this bag, I found nothing bad in the ingredients list.  All you do is drop the things in boiling water and when they float, wait for 2-3 minutes and remove.  Throw on virtually any sauce and/or cheese that you can tolerate and enjoy.

The only tricky thing is, I have no good point of reference.  Although my wife is Italian, and her grandmother made gnocchi from scratch, she remembers it as being pasta, not dumplings.  So, the only way we do is to taste samples immediately when the boiling hits that two minute mark, and remove when the texture is most appealing.  The family was pleased, so I call it a success.  Hopefully yours will be too.

No comments:

Post a Comment