Saturday, March 30, 2013

A Day Late. . .

Last week I found myself visiting in-laws.  It was Friday during Lent, and we're Catholic.  My every-helpful mother-in-law volunteered to whip up a tuna casserole.  I asked her what was in it and she mentioned canned soup.  Yikes!  Fortunately, she has a Kroger essentially in her driveway (and yet farther from her place than mine is from mine), so it was no big deal to run over and grab a few things.

Tuna casserole is mac and cheese with two cans of tuna thrown in.  My mother-in-law keeps a pretty basic pantry because of her own dietary restrictions.  I had to use onion salt and garlic salt (no plain powder), so regular salt was not necessary (fortunately she had unsalted butter).  I threw in some thawed corn to lighten it up and some thawed peas for color.  This was a good alternative to scallions and shallots, which I'm not sure my mother-in-law could tolerate.  Again, because of the limited pantry, I crushed some soda crackers and added a bit of butter for topping that browned up a bit in the oven.

Strangely the biggest challenge was the tuna itself.  It is very difficult to find tuna with no soy added.  Until you know the secret.  Starkist Selects white albacore in the GOLD can is easy to pick out visually, and it leaves out the bad stuff.

Result:  I'm a hero, mother-in-law catches a break, wife gets food she can tolerate, and leftovers with a little milk in the microwave were good the next day.  Sorry I posted this the day after Good Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment