If you're like me, you don't always have time, energy or motivation to cook a masterpiece every night. If you're REALLY like me, you don't have the talent either. :) So, I've done a lot of simple, short-cut dishes. I have discovered a new staple that brings a new texture and a lot of convenience to the party - canned potatoes. I've tried a couple of the store brands. They come in several shapes and varieties (skin off, skin on, . . ). The ingredients are typically just potatoes, salt and water - what could be safer for a migraine sufferer?. Just keep a few things in mind and you can make a lot of your stand-by dishes new again:
1. Rinse before you start to get some of the salt off.
2. Consider something with lots of sauce like a stew or casserole. That will help to hide some of the "can"
3. Be sure to let the potatoes cook a bit, at least 20 minutes. This will hide even more of the "can".
4. Taste before you add more salt.
5. One approach that works well is cooking the potatoes in stock to add some flavor, and thickening at the end with corn starch.
It's not sexy, it's not fancy. However, it adds some options to your "quick and easy" options. To me, that's more than worth a blog entry. If you want to share any similar staple ideas, please feel free!